There are concerning statistics regarding Mental Health in the UK. Now more than ever, companies need to be proactive to improve mental health in the workplace and thus increase productivity.
We have listed below some of the Mental Health Statistics for the UK:
• 1 in 6 people in the last week experienced a common mental health problem
• 13% of all sickness absence days in the UK can be attributed to mental health conditions
• 7.8% of people in Britain meet the criteria for the diagnosis of anxiety and depression
• Between 4 and 10% of people will experience depression in their lifetime
• Mixed anxiety and depression have been estimated to cause one-fifth of days lost from work in the country
• One person in fifteen has made a suicide attempt at some point in their life
• Suicide is the most common cause of death for men aged 20 to 49 in England and Wales
• 75% of the suicides in Great Britain in 2016 were male
There are ways fortunately to improve these statistics. Better mental health support at work could save £8 billion a year for UK business and preventative measures relating to mental health are found to be cost-effective in the long run.
Rewind Your Mind offer Deep Relaxation sessions which could easily be fitted into the working day as they are only an hour long in total. Employees who attend quickly discover that rather than working through their lunch breaks and eating at their desk, in the mistaken belief that they can achieve more, is not by any means true and is very counterproductive.
Time away from your desk does not mean less work is achieved especially when healthy and nourishing behaviour is put into practice, such as a time to completely relax for 45 minutes. A Deep relaxation session at work will create positive and nourishing behaviour, instead of perhaps time spent working through a break or trawling the internet and spending time on social media for example.
Productivity, creativity and the ability to problem solve inevitably increases in the afternoon when employees attend a Deep Relaxation session because their minds have had a chance to relax and let go of any stresses and worries for a short while.
In our surveys, we also found that employees found that after regularly attending Deep Relaxation sessions, their sleep quality often improved too. Sleep quality is of course key to maintaining a healthy mind and even a healthy body. Lack of sleep has been linked to increased appetite and can contribute to obesity.
Rewind Your Mind also offer an Introduction to Mindfulness presentation, Mindfulness courses and Mental Health Awareness presentations.
Please contact us to get some more information on any of the above courses to improve mental health and wellbeing for 2018.
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!